- Non Veg
- South Asian
Widely renowned as the best of tikkas (chunks or pieces), this spicy, tasty and finger-licking starter is a non-vegetarian’s delight. Very easy to make at home, chicken tikka is traditionally marinated in yoghurt and spices to impart juiciness and distinct punch to the dish.
- Prick chicken on all the sides with a fork. Keep aside.
- For marinade: In a bowl, mix curd, tikka paste, garam masala, lemon juice, peppercorn powder, red chillies, food colour, coriander leaves and salt.
- Marinate chicken pieces in this yoghurt masala mix for at least two hours in the refrigerator (overnight marination is preferable)
- Skewer the chicken pieces leaving 1 cm space between cubes. Arrange skewers suspended across a grill. Grill chicken about 4 inches from heat, turning regularly, until browned in spots and just cooked through (9 to 12 minutes). Baste with oil at intervals to retain the juiciness of the chicken.
- Remove from fire and serve hot with onion rings, lemon wedges and a fresh green salad of your choice (The same can be shallow-fried in a pan if a griller is not available).
- 1 kg chicken - breast or thigh (skinless and cut into 2 inch chunks)
- 1 cup fresh yoghurt (mild)
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp tikka paste
- 3-4 tbsp National garam masala
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 dried red chillies or ½ tsp chilli powder
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp orange food colour
- 1 large onion (cut into thin rings)
- Lemon wedges (for garnishing)